Just Checking In is a feature on the blog where I’ll pop in to share what I’ve been working on and the progress I’m making towards my goals. Accountability, baby!
WTF, where did this year go?! How is it June?
It was so weird to realize last month that I’ve been at my job and in New York City for over a year! And I still haven’t seen most of my friends that also live here because my apartment is comfy and has internet. Oooops.
But I do go out and do things! Still, most of the time I stay in and do things. This blog and business is proof. 🙂
Here’s what I’ve been up to.
In May, I:
- Went to Book Expo America. I went to speak at BloggerCon and get my book nerd on in Chicago. You can read my full recap on Book Bumblings. The highlights: teaching book bloggers how to monetize their blogs, seeing Kenny Loggins perform Footloose live (!!!), and meeting Sylvia Day.
- Invested in this site – MAJORLY. I enrolled in Launch Your Signature Corse at the last minute and I think it might have been the biggest leap – and definitely the biggest investment – I’ve made in my business so far. I’ve loved it so much! I’ve re-worked the course structure, joined an accountability group with other people in the course, and written content for the phases that come before actually creating the course. And I have motivation out the wah-zoo.
- Got the flu. I didn’t do much else the last 10 days of the month, and this is why. I don’t think I’d ever had it as an adult. I thought I did, but after experiencing how much worse this was, I might have just been a baby back then haha. Oh, man was it awful. I realized the huge difference between staying in the apartment for the week and working on a thousand different things, and staying in for a week and laying there. Multitasking really distracts you from going stir crazy.
In June, I’ll:
- Go back to my alma mater. Actually, this already happened, but it was June, so… I went back to Delaware for alumni weekend! It felt weird to be back there, really. But Mug Night was fun, and I had BWW chicken tenders with some of my favorite people ever, just like the good ole days. 😛
- See Chris Hardwick! Ah! Tomorrow my sister is coming up to the city to see him with me – we’ve been trying to go together for a few years now and this fell together perfectly at the last minute. Plus she never visits me, and it’s getting her up here! 🙂
- Werk. As always. Now that I really have a roadmap for creating my course, I don’t doubt it’ll get done. My health is improving as my chronic illness (hopefully) goes back into remission, too, so that should mean my energy improves and I can work a bit more and won’t be so tired and lazy all the time.
What I Wrote:
- How to Find Great Writers: 6 Places to Start Your Search – HubSpot
- The Easiest Ways to Save Time on Your Business: Scheduling & Automation – Blog Bolder
- 47 Ways to Come Up With Better Content Ideas – Mention Resource Library
- How to Come Up with Endless Content Ideas – Mention
- 8 Extra To-Dos for Better Content Distribution (With Examples) – Mention
- 24 Ways to Promote Your Next Blog Post – Mention Resource Library
- How Mention’s Content Team Uses Mention – Mention Resource Library
- Workflow Automation: A Solopreneur’s Secret Weapon – Blog Bolder
What I Read:
- 7 Essentials for Starting a Successful Online Business – you know I fangirl over systems. Here are the bare minimum that you need to get your biz up and running, suggested by Sarah Morgan.
- LinkedIn for Freelance Writers: How to Find High-Paying Clients – LinkedIn is always a given with B2B. Finding freelance writing jobs should be know different. Here’s how Jorden Roper gets clients there.
- 8 Reasons Why You Should Use Your iPhone Camera to Click Blog + Instagram Photos – I have so many full notebooks lying around that it’s a flat lay photoshoot waiting to happen, but I don’t have great photog chops. This post from Pink Pot gave me hope!
- The Ultimate Round-Up of Styled Stock Photo Newsletters – Let’s go back to those not great photo chops. Until I master iPhoneography, posts like these are my life saver! Thank you, Miranda!
- What is Task Management? 3 Proven Methods Explained – Again, another topic that’s pretty core to the essence of my being. 😛 Productivity and organization all the damn day!
These are all links from the past month’s Work Brighter emails. Want them weekly instead of monthly? Sign up here.
So what have you been up to?